Wednesday, November 5, 2008

what's the good times?

I've been looking after my younger sister and brother of 5 and seven years of age. That has given me plenty of time to do things, which has been nice. For example, I've been reading a LOT. A few years ago I got sick of reading and just sort of stopped. Gradually I've brought it back into my life, but lately it's practically all I do.
I've been reading this french thing which is pretty boring but it's in french so that helps.
I've also been reading "Cats Eye" by margaret atwood and it's allright. It's kinda dull and her main character is not very sympathetic. So it's hard to care about her life. But it's interesting enough for me to continue reading.
I've been reading especially a lot of poetry anthologies. "Uncommon Wealth" is about writing in english through a long time and with many voices. What bugs me though is the social conscience of the book - it seems like it picks social peoms over other ones, to the point where I'm like "but they wrote so many great poems, why did you pick the terrible one about how black people are treated?" nevertheless it is interesting to hear what people of old thought about their own social issues. I eventually dropped it because of all the bad verse.
There's "the echoing years" too, an anthology of contemporary canadian and irish poetry set side by side. It's interesting because they are both so different and yet both in english and both colonies of engalnd and furthermore have so many connections through immigration of irish to canada.
The last one I've been reading has been "canadian poetry" which is historical and was written fifty years ago and thus extra historical. A lot of the poets are actually terrible but I've found a few I like (sangster, duncan campbell scott) and it feels good to know that a hundred years ago there were canadians who could write worth somethign at least.
Reading is pretty nice too.

No comments: